Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Whew I can breathe again..........

I have decided, upon the advice of some trusted friends here, to make my blog available only to certain viewers. That way I can say anything I like, feeling that if you are invited to be here, you are friend, not foe.

The past few months have been so stressful for me and I absolutely have to unwind. Making a blog, screen name and email with my actual name, (PREVIOUS TO USING IT FOR BUSINESS) was a mistake in hindsight. People have googled my name and read blog comments and it has been passed on to me that is why I was not hired for jobs that they otherwise loved me for.
As a real estate agent some people (as well as other agents) go to great lengths to try to cause problems for people. In the real estate world I carry insurance, much like malpractic insurance.
There are state and federal guidelines I must be careful to follow. If I do not, I am fined quickly and seriously. I can lose my license even, although I have spent thousands of dollars to be at this point where I am now. The previous business I worked for has warned me, actually asked me to sign legal documents for their secrecy. I had signed a privacy agreement when I was hired and I have, and continue to plan to uphold those confidences. In fact, I felt it was insulting to be asked.
The previous employer was a friend of over twenty years. She admitted that things were not fair to me, asked me how to rectify it and when I told her that I felt it best that I go elsewhere she was furious. It became a personal attack with wild accusations that she could not prove.
In the end nothing that she swore was going to happen did and she looked a bit paranoid.
I stay out of her way, don't even speak to her and I have learned that just four months since I left, she has had to sell the business, unable to shoulder the burden of it any longer. That certainly felt like validation to me. I am not a bitter person. I am far from perfect and I know thaqt others err as well. Fine, no problem but I have a problem with having lies told about me.
I feel that I am honest and with integrity. I think when I worked in a business for a year and a half and that was seen on a daily basis, it is absurd to claim otherwise.

I have tried to move on forging a new business in the neighboring town where I live. It has been difficult because our area is dense with realtors. Many are honest and there are others who my one friend refers to as "sharks". They will steal your clients in a heartbeat. I have only met one or two of them so count myself lucky. I have a few buyers I have been working with. It's a bit difficult because it takes time to learn what they really like and do not like. Often they think they like something but reality shows otherwise. It is not uncommon to have first time home buyers want a mansion. Of course it would have to be priced at about half the actual value!
Sometimes it takes months for people to see that they have to be realistic about their budget.
All the while you are waiting for the reality to set in, you must be patient and gently lead them towards that revelation. Some agents have shown people homes for over a year before they found one they liked. We can be talking as high as one hundred homes! Mind you, this is with gas prices ever climbing and realtors work on commission only in my area. You work hard for every dollar you earn. The more diligent you are, the more that is true.

I am not sure if I have the financial means, unless I get more clients to stay with this. I do like people, I really do. I love introducing people to a house they love. I love helping people, even when they are a bit difficult. I am hoping I can hang in there and go the distance. Right now I have a referral in the works (thank you to my cousin in Maryland) and I have people who I believe are ready to write a contract in the next ten days. So.......progress is happening just not at the pace I had hoped for. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue. I guess I am not too virtuous......well that's another post.

6 comments:

jennifer said...

Ah. This is why my public name is some word that begins with X that I made up myself, and, publically, I go only by Jennifer who lives in Indiana.

Only people I trust know anything more. Smart move going private, especially when you're in the business you're in.

alphawoman said...

Yay! It worked! It must have felt good to get all that off your chect! How dare that b.! Is it possible to join an agency? When I cruise the MLS I seem to always find some realtor who has the site for convience (did I spell that right) and I would imagine to catch a few clients. I am dragging the IN realtor around for the third time and thank you for pointing out about the gas prices and wasting her time. I won't. She has been doing it for 20 years and seems happy. hang in there.

alphawoman said...

PS- I bet I could hunt down that Jennifer!lol!!

jennifer said...

But Mary, I would send you my name and address! It's fun to comment in private.

Cynthia said...

Working as a mortgage broker, I have come to almost hate most realtors. (There are some glorious exceptions, thank goodness.) There are a whole lot of snakes in your field, and it is damn hard work. You know you have your honesty, and I'm really sorry you had a friendship damaged by her mistrust and paranoia. Just hang in there. I'm still trying to figure out my privacy issues online. It's just not easy.

Judith HeartSong said...

oh you have been having a time. I am thinking of you and am glad to still be a part of your circle. You hang in there!

judi