Tuesday, January 31, 2006

A Leap..............

I knew when I took my current job that it would not be permanent. Still, I found that I liked the people very much. I had never worked in a small office before, the three major jobs I had were for large corporations. I thought it would be nice to be in a small office and in many ways it is, but it's quite different from the corporate place. The biggest problem of working for a small company is that there is not much room for advancement. I agreed to work for the least amount of money I have made in over five years. I knew going in that there would not be benefits or a large salary. I guess a part of me hoped that somehow up the road that would be available. Moving on is hard. I have put a lot of my new computer skills to work and done a lot of things I have never done in the corporate world such as making photo copies. My last job I had a team of people who did those things for me. I had a fax secretary that I shared with many other people. I have learned to do things that I had taken for granted.
Tonight I had a talk with the owner of the business where I work and told her it's time for me to move on. My plan is to register with a temp agency. They send you on jobs that can be for one day or several weeks. Most companies now hire from temp agencies. This will be a good chance to see what's out there and land me the job I now need. I am keeping an open mind about it. Besides I can work two days for the temp agency and make what I am making working four days where I have been working. It's really hard to try to exist on 1/4 of what you made previously. The bills are what they always were. In fact, with my medical insurance, copays that have consistently risen and prescriptions, my monthly costs are about $300 more than they were pre surgery. Each month my bills have exceeded my income. I have had a small amount that I have used but that's almost gone now and this is the time I need to take the big leap back into the job world. I'm a bit nervous but I keep reminding myself that change is exciting and that a great job is out there waiting for me. I just need to find it. Wish me luck.+

2 comments:

IndigoSunMoon said...

Nelle,
Wishing you the absolute best of luck sweetie!
Love you!
Connie

jennifer said...

Good Luck, Nelle!!! You gotta take those leaps. Otherwise you get stuck in the mud.