Sunday, April 30, 2006

We get by with a little help from our friends..........


Starting last Saturday my week was not a good one. On Saturday I woke up with an intense sore throat. Went to the doctor and got antibiotics for strep throat. I went to work Monday thru Thursday feeling tired and draggy. On Friday I woke up with the mother of all sore throats. The strep was not this painful. I tried to nurse it but I had to run and help a friend who was having a problem. Her tire shredded on the parkway and she desperately needed a tire. She is on hard times since her husband chose to vanish after their six month anniversary. She had lived with him for nine years prior to them getting married so she was quite stunned and has been working hard to rebuild her life. She needed a friend to assist her and she needed to use my credit card to get her out of a jam. I did that and she came back to my house where we caught up. Hadn't seen her in two years since she had visited me in the hospital post surgery. By the time she left my throat was on fire. I began nursing it with chicken soup and tea with honey. I was having flashbacks now to the worst cold I ever had in my life. I anticipated waking up with a horrible cold on Saturday and that's just what happened. I believe I have been through four boutique size boxes of tissues. I am cursing myself for not splurging for the ones with lotion as my nose could double for Rudolph. My right nostril is lie a spigot and my throat is still miserable. I simply MUST go to work tomorrow. I laid around all day yesterday. Couldn't really stay in bed and sleep because my head won't permit it. I hate colds. They can cure polio but they can't find a cure for a common cold? Hard to believe.
I just took a longggggg hotttttttt shower. I now smell like a delicious fruit salad. Verbena and ginger. Oddly I can smell. Go figure.
I am going to go on Pogo and work on my game badges there. It always takes my mind off the physical miseries of life.
I will say this: the friend I helped overcame addictions to alcohol and drugs. Recently one of her closest friends relapsed. When her husband walked out it would have been so easy to go back to old bad habits that helped her cope before. I am proud of her. She will rebuild.......with a little help from her friends.

No comments: