Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Fighting some intestinal distress

On Sunday I was experiencing some stomach distress. On Monday it slipped lower into my intestines where it has taken up residence and refuses to leave. I have noticed that my worst bouts of distress where after having a bowl of cereal and later a yogurt. I am starting to wonder if I have lactose intolerance.
Today was my day off again as I am working on Saturday. I spent hours on the phone catching up with people I had neglected to stay in touch with. I followed that up with a trip to the grocery store and Home Depot. Came home and made a lovely dinner of beef stir fry. Rob worked late and then went out to play darts. My day today has felt much too long. I am tired and will be heading off to bed soon.
Thinking today about how many people come and go in our lives. People that we feel fondly for and think that we will never lose touch with them. Then they move away and several years later we think of them. I am trying hard to stay in touch with those people. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day but then I think it's because when I have the luxury of time, I waste too much of it. Right now I have dropped off all the tax stuff. My checking account has been reconciled. My house has food in it (pet as well as human). My laundry is done and my bed has clean sheets. All those squares have been checked off. My bills are paid and I have already calculated the distribution of our next paychecks. Life seems to be in order. Instead of enjoying that, I find my mind wanders to all the things that might happen that would throw my plan to waste. I find as I am older that I can roll with those punches more. Life is what happens while we're busy making other plans.
Today I got a surprising phone call from my childhood best friend. Right after I divorced my ex she divored her husband. I met Rob and shortly afterward she met and married her second husband. She has left him and is planning a divorce. It's not that she hasn't tried because she has bent over backwards. She has tried so hard that it has amazed me. I have seen her compromise until I felt her back would break. Now she has done the only reasonable thing and admitted it's futile. She worries about the stigma of being divorced twice. I tell her that it would worry me much more to waste years of my life in misery and hopelessness. I don't take divorce lightly. I wrestled with that issue for years. But there comes a time when a person realizes that ONE person cannot save a dying relationship. It's sad but I've told her that I am here for her. Husbands have come and gone for her, but our friendship is forever. Sometimes I think more people should stop and think of the value of a real friend. The kind who come in when the world walks out. What really fascinates me is that this guy always wanted her to tell him that he was her best friend. I love my husband dearly. He and my son are the most important people in the world to me but I believe that a person needs to have friends in addition to their spouse and children. To make one person your entire universe would put an awful lot of stress on them ,I think. I know that when you truly feel secure in a relationship you don't have to make that person define what they mean to you on a continous basis. I feel so secure with Rob. For the first time in my life I feel I can trust this man. It's a wonderful feeling and I wouldn't take anything for this feeling.

1 comment:

Judith HeartSong said...

feel better..... so glad you have someone to love and love you... that makes everything somehow right finally.