Thursday, December 15, 2005

A bit hectic here

Yesterday we had quite a scare with my Dad. They went to the internist after he was running a temp of 103 and losing control of his bladder. He was so weak he could not even sit up. The internist called am ambulance to come transport him to the hospital as his blood pressure was not stable. When he arrived they immediately noticed he had a lot of fluid in his abdomen. He weighed 20 lbs more than his last visit. They began tests and found he was dehydrated with a bad urinary infection. I worked until 3:30 when I found out what had happened. (My mother had my work phone no. but didn't find an opportunity to call me.) I came home and fed the animals and then went to the hospital to see him. He was staring at the ceiling and that concerned me as he looked "out of it". By the time we left he seemed to be a bit better and ate some dinner. He had stopped eating and drinking the night before saying he felt that he would not survive this. It had nothing to do with his heart, this time, but they brought in the cardiologist to check him out anyway.
Last night was Rob's dart night and he didn't go so that he could see my Dad and give me some moral support. When we got home we were again exhausted.
This morning I got up and made up my mind that my Christmas tree simply HAD to be put up. I dragged the ladder out of the garage and manneuvered it into the attic. I was not able to hoist myself up with the beam. My chest muscles just aren't what they used to be. I called my mother who came over and went up there for me. She brought down only a few things that I absolutely needed, mainly the tree. It's up and I am slowly decorating it. Rob will probably work overtime tonight and it will be a pleasant surprise for him. Tomorrow will be hectic with me working and going with my boss to help her make the purchases for our upcoming Christmas party on Tuesday afternoon. I love to shop so this should be enjoyable. She just got a new car with heated seats. In this weather, that will be marvelous. I always enjoy her company so it will be a treat.
I have to run out and do some errands. I think snow is on it's way. I need to get to the bank and deposit checks, making sure some of what I have sent are covered. The tree puts me a bit in the Christmas spirit. I struggle as I miss Sandie so very much. I keep finding items that were hers: her stocking, half a dozen ornaments, special Christmas bowl and collar. Duffy has his own stocking which his grandmother sent him. I am not ready to give him Sandie's things. I might never be. I got Sandie at Thanksgiving and she was so tiny for her first Christmas with us. I have videos of that. I want to hold her so badly and tell her once more how much I love her and how much she meant to me. I have to believe that she knew that. It was the last thing I said to her. This would have been our fifteenth Christmas. I know that she is in a better place, free of pain and at peace. Usually that comforts me but right now it doesn't. I keep telling myself it will get better.


jennifer said...

Hope your dad is better soon.

We still put our Lhasa Apso's ornaments up, all over the tree. He had a bunch of them. :o) And they hang there right next to Walter's. It gets easier. And you'll smile when you honor Sandie that way. The first Christmas, though, is always difficult.


Cynthia said...

I hope your father feels better soon, and that your memories of Sandie bring you happiness as well as the inevitable sadness.

IndigoSunMoon said...

I hope your Dad is back to his old self in no time. I know that was scary!
I know you miss Sandie. We've been missing Kasey this week a lot too.
: (
Love you babe,

TJ said...

Oh boy what a week you have had...
The holiday are hard enough to get through, keeping up and getting done all the thing on our to do list.
Best wishes for a Heatlthy Happy Holiday.
I am sorry for your loss, it's hard to let it go.
Love TJ~

alphawoman said...

So glad your Dad is going to be okay. Very scary stuff. Let us see a picture of your tree when you get it up. Mine has fallen over several times! I don't gt it. I tired for the third and final time last night to get it to stay up! I think the trunk is very crooked which makes it difficult to estimate. Right now it is leaning towards the right...but the trunk is in good and tight. So no pictures of my poor Charlie Brown tree.

V said...

Prayers for your Dad.

amy said...

The holidays are tough after you've lost a furbaby. I know the first year after Cheyenne died was hard. You never really get over it, but it does get a little easier over time...