Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Early Morning Thoughts


Taken about seven years ago: Rob and Jennifer

It's Wednesday morning. It's Rob's birthday. Am I prepared? That would be a negative. I started back to work on Monday. It went better than I expected. Last time I was out on disability about a year ago for about six weeks when I returned I was expected to take calls immediately. Since things change frequently, that was a bit overwhelming for me.


There have been many changes this time over a period of four months. I have a new boss, a wonderful lady named Shonda. She is kind and patient and is giving me the time, and preparing for me to receive the training I need to continue in my position. There have been some real positive things that have happened. I will have an opportunity to make more money than in the past as a bonus system is once again in place. It's very exciting.

I have been awake since 2:30 a.m. when Rob got up to use the bathroom. Unfortunately, I am sleeping very lightly. It is now 6 a.m. and I start work at 9. There is a beautiful snow falling, we are only expecting an inch total. I am going to try to take about an hour nap now before getting ready for work. It has been a long time since I actually felt excited about my job. It's a good feeling.

I'm going to pick up dinners from our favorite Italian restaurant for dinner. When birthdays fall midweek and you are both working full time, it's hard to celebrate properly. I'm sure we will do some celebrating over the weekend. Birthdays are bittersweet for Rob. His baby sister, Jennifer's birthday was the next day. They always had a joint celebration and shared a cake. We lost Jen to cancer two and a half years ago. She would only have been 36 tomorrow. What makes it even harder is that she left a daughter who is now only ten years old. Jen was divorced when her daughter was a toddler.
Her daughter is being raised by her grandmother. Sometimes life is hard and throws things our way that no matter how we try we cannot make sense of. There will never be a February 4th where we don't grieve for our beloved Jen. At the same time we feel her with us and we laugh about some of the great moments we had with her. She loved her big brother and she never ended a phone call with telling us she loved both of us. It just doesn't get much better than that.

So happy birthday dearest Rob and Jen you live in our hearts and always will baby girl.

3 comments:

alphawoman said...

The way you have always described Jen and how much you all loved her and she loved you...well, I miss her too.

alphawoman said...

Oh, and glad that you are making a smooth transition back to work with a cool new boss.

Missie said...

I'm glad being back to work is going smoothly. I remember how hard it was last year for you. Have a good rest of your week. Not much left to the week thank goodness.