Friday, August 25, 2006

Yesterday........Getting Sunned and Zenned


Yesterday........I reclaimed something that brought me so much joy as a teen and a young Mom......I went to a beautiful beach, Belmar. I went to the beach that many young adults hang out on. There are many older people who don't know the area and particular beaches. This was the view from my beach chair. The jetty which had many seagulls on it, and the slightly overcast sky. When the sun broke through, I got quite a bit of burning. I was there four hours and I was able to leave all my troubles behind as I climbed down the stairs and walked barefoot through the sand. I breathed in the fragrant beach smells and my senses were overcome with the sounds of the waves crashing, the gentle breeze that touched my skin and the visual feast of nature. It was the most perfect four hours one could imagine. I have been thinking a lot about living on a coastal state. One that has the change of seasons. In two weeks my next door neighbors are moving to Florida. I could never live there. Even though they have the beaches, I simply love the change of seasons. As much as I love summers at the Jersey shore, nothing compares to Fall. It's my favorite time of the year. The Jersey Shore is such an experience and one that I have been a part of for forty years. Before that, we summered at the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. My childhood best friend just bought a home there and soon I will be recapturing those memories as well. Whoever said you can't go home again was so very wrong. He was a doubting Thomas. :) I am reminded of one of my favorite poems by e.e. cummings
i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
wich is natural which is infinite which is yes
(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)
how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?
(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Song by Jersey's own Bon Jovi with Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland (now the official song of N J)

2 comments:

alphawoman said...

I plan to be a snow bird!! Maybe a condo down there and a place up here...well, in KY,...too. We'll see. I love the smell of the ocean and the sand too. Thank you for the poem. Pass the sun block!!

jennifer said...

Something about the water just washes away all that stress, doesn't it? And you don't even have to get in the water for it to work!!