Saturday, August 19, 2006

Wondering about Saturdays off............

I have so looked forward to my two Saturdays I have off each month. The one two weeks ago consisted of us at the Emergency Room for Rob and the aftermath. Today I was SOOOO hoping for a pleasant day. I did get to sleep in a bit and Rob got up early with the pets. He had his stiches out on Tuesday and is slowly getting back to his usual routine now. He cut the lawn and made a quick jaunt over to the local flea market. I chose to use that time running to pick up a prescription and go grocery shopping. I was so pleased that I had a gift card and my groceries would be free. I splurged and got some thick, juicy steaks and some talapia. Ice cream treats were on sale and I picked up two boxes. Lastly I stopped for some cold beer for Rob and headed home. When I was about four miles from home I came upon a dump truck with a trailer attached to it. I noticed the wood on the trailer was flapping up and down and the tarp on top was flailing in the wind. Ever mindful of windshield chips I dropped back several car lengths. Within a few minutes I saw a rock hit the lower portion of my windshield and make a chip and crack. I began to blow my horn for the driver to pull over. He refused to and I followed him all the way back to where the truck was destined for. It was a landscaping truck. I pulled in behind him and began to shout for him to come take a look at the damage to my car. He slowly got out of the truck and began to say he had no load on the truck. I explained that my car had just gone through inspection so I could prove that the damage was very recent. He offered to call his boss. I used my cell phone to call Rob and ask him to call the police to send a car. Clearly, he was not going to admit anything. About five minutes later his boss pulled in and began to yell at him. Now I was feeling sorry for the guy. I told the boss what had happened and that the rock absolutely came from the truck OR the trailer. The boss/owner insisted I couldn't prove that. I advised him that I had the police on their way and he suddenly changed his tune. He began to yell for Antonio to leave immediately. (I jotted down his license plate number as he left.) He then asked me to leave but I refused. He handed me his business card and told me if I did not contact the police he would pay me but if I did there was no way I would get the money. After waiting for 20 mins for the police to arrive I gave up and drove my defrosting groceries home. I then called the police station and found out that there had been a bad accident and that is where all the police cars were. Now, granted, I can understand that they thought this was not an emergency but here I was standing behind a building, on a dirt road with the angry boss and three (highly likely illegal) immigrants which spoke few words of English. Not a place a woman wants to find herself. I went to the police station and filed an incident report. The police don't seem to have much hope that this guy is going to pay. Now I will have to see just what an ordeal it would be to go to court if he doesn't. I do know that I will make it clear to everyone I know that his landscaping company is not very trustworthy if he doesn't. When I arrived home from the police station my father called asking if my mother was here. It seems she left their house at 8 a.m. for the flea market and hadn't returned yet. I know immediately something was wrong. We called the local hospital and she was there in the Emergency Room. Apparently, she had done her usual routine which I have cautioned her about so many times. She took several medicines with about 4 ozs. of orange juice and went out in heat that was sizzling, humidity that was way up there and walked in the sun for over an hour and a half. At one point she became dizzy and sat down on a table. Shortly afterwards she passed out and woke up with an ambulance there and several people hovering about her. They brought her to the ER and the police were supposed to call a family member. She gave them the numbers but three hours later we had not been notified. Rob and I drove right over there. They had done blood work, x rays and cat scans. They had her on a heart monitor just in case. They are keeping her overnight for observation since this hasn't happened before, she is 74 yrs. old. Man oh man. I just want ONE Saturday to be relaxing and peaceful. Next Saturday our entire neighborhood is having a huge yard sale. I don't think it will be THAT Saturday. I won't go into the bank statement that came and I had an overdraft on because the check I deposited didn't clear when it should have. Had I not had overdraft protection it would have run me a few hundred dollars but this way all I pay is less than a dollar. Whew! I am grateful for the things that DO go right! Now it's time to chill. Maybe a frozen pina colada will do the trick. :) ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Have you ever considered Wednesdays as a good day off?

Sorry bout the car. Glad you got cold beer, even though I never did get that invite...

Nelle said...

Now Jennifer, you have a permanent invite to come to NJ and have cold beer anytime! While here feel free to get a nice rose garden going! LOL IN March I am expecting my Princess Diana rosebush to arrive. Woohoo!