Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Lovely Summer Day

Today I am off work. A badly needed day off. Rob was out of work on Monday with a doctor's note and when he went in they refused to allow him to work. The doctor said he CAN work but they told him he can't. I called the ER doctor who said his primary doctor would need to determine whether or not he can work. Rob went to him this morning and he said yes that he could work with minimal use of his left hand. Rob then went back to work and they told him they would find something for him tomorrow. So, that means he lost Monday and Tuesday and his choices for that are a. to use his vacation days or b. not to be paid. When you live paycheck to paycheck as we do, b is not an option. I have decided to treat this as a vacation day for both of us. My morning began with me meeting my friend Wendy for breakfast. I hadn't seen her in a very long time. Wendy and I have a bond that is very strong. Our sons were treated for leukemia together. That was over ten years ago and we stay in touch. We attend the major events in each other's lives and try to get together for lunch a few times a year. Once in a while we even go into the city and the theatre. Two years ago when I discovered I had a cancer in one of my breasts I called Wendy. I had taken her to Philadelphia for treatment for hers a few years earlier. As time passes, our bond continues to grow and I consider her one of my core friends. We always have so much to chat about. The place that we had breakfast at is a new chain and we loved it. If you have a Turning Point near you, you must try breakfast, lunch or brunch there. The menu has incredible and delicious choices. I had zucchini "pam cakes" which were topped with sugared nuts and whipped cream. Too delicious to describe. We are thinking about trying to find a pasta restaurant tonight that people have been raving about, Carabbas. Yes, I am a carbohydrate junkie.
It seems Rob's work has found something he can do and he will return there tomorrow. I know some people always see the clouds but I refuse to live my life that way. Yes, we will have medical bills that will have to be paid. Rob lost two vacation days. I am so grateful that he still has his hand and his five fingers. It could have been far worse. Losing money is one thing, even money that might be a hardship. It's people and their health that are a tragic loss.
Today I find myself feeling ever so lucky. I am close to the shore. I have the devotion of a man who I feel has the best heart in the world and so much more. A house is made of brick and stone, a home is made of love alone. I had the large beautifully decorated house and it was an empty existence. I now have a warm and inviting comfortable home and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Life is grand and I feel that I am doubly blessed. Not only do I have so much but I have the ability to appreciate it. Sometimes I think gratitude is a gift.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.