Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ouch!

The past few days have been an exercise in patience. Last week my left wrist began to hurt. I went to work on Saturday and I had to print out, copy and collate a thousand pages. That took a lot of sorting and stapling which then had my wrist in much worse shape. I have put heat on it, iced it, and done just about anything I could think of. Since I am right handed it would make more sense if it were my right wrist. Now my right wrist is having sympathetic pain for the left. Since I am on blood thinners, I am not supposed to take any aspirin or ibuprofen. This is the one thing that helps me. If I take too much I could end up with a brain hemorrhage. It's so hard because you can't keep monitoring the blood on a daily basis.

As though that weren't enough to deal with, a neighbor had a bad virus. It started with his daughter getting sick. I didn't realize he was sick and was talking to him. Once I realized I backed off but I think I got exposed to some germs in the process. I now have aches and pains all over and my sinuses are killing me. I want to go to the doctor but I have stopped going because I usually hear the same thing. That it's probably a virus and I have to wait it out. I can save my copay and tell myself that. I really like our internist. His group however will never give a free sample of a medicine. They charge a copay for everything. A few weeks ago they tried to bill us for a separate blood draw which was taken after a physical. Knowing insurance as I do, I got them to remove that one. When Rob went to get his stitches out yesterday they hit him with a copay as they did about a week ago to take a look at the stitches a few days after they were put in. We are people with insurance and are struggling with these bills, I wonder what people without insurance do.

There are so many things that need doing today. Vacumning, the lawn needs cutting and the garage needs to be straightened up a bit. I have to use discipline and NOT do these things.
By nature I am a doer. I have no patience for illness. Today I have to just say NO to my to do list and kick back and rest all my aching parts.

On another note, Rob got his stitches out. Still looks like a shark bite wound. If you want to see the gorey pics go to the link for his Blarney blog and check them out. I feel like we are running a convalescent center here at the Leprechaun Inn. Still, there are kisses and hugs doled out along with the meds and TLC so I guess things could be a lot worse.

Judith wrote a great entry about her waking thoughts today. It made me think of how much I love waking up in the morning. I decorated our room to look like a bed and breakfast room at the shore. I painted the walls seafoam. (It actually was bluer than what I had in mind.) The furniture look like attic antiques but are reproductions. They are an antique white with oak tops. Thick legs, sturdy pieces with drawers that slide like a dream. This was our big splurge, a Thomasville bedroom set. The bed has a handmade quilt on it. The windows (we have 3, two face the sunrise) are covered with antique white cotton tabbed curtains. I sewed a cotton fringe on the bottoms of them to give them an antique feel. On the wall hangs a picture (an antique) that was a gift from my baby shower 30 yrs. ago. It is a woman with a long black braid holding her baby. It's called Dreams Come True. There are others that look similar that have wedding pics, drawings actually. It is something that is always with me, always in my bedroom, now in it's third home. Anyhow, when I open my eyes and see my beautiful room, the sunshine reflected in it, I feel so content. It's the best bedroom I have ever had. I love this room and each day I wake in it I feel so optomistic that I will have another day to enjoy. Life is grand.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alphawoman said...

Loved this entry too!! So sorry about your wrist. My room looks like .....never mind.

Virginia said...

"We are people with insurance and are struggling with these bills, I wonder what people without insurance do."

That is so true.... I have good insurance and I struggle to be able to just see a doctor, and I haven't found a doctor that I feel I can really partner with in managing my diabetes. "Hello, who are you, give us your blood, make an appt. in three months, good bye." is the BEST I have managed so far.

Many times in the past I haven't been able to find a doctor at all. I've come to the conclusion that those without insurance just sometimes don't live.

Peace,

Virginia