Saturday, August 05, 2006

Oh for a quiet (even boring) life

The past three weekends have been so hectic. Family visiting from out of town, squeezing in errands and visits with neighbors left me without a moment just to sit and think. This past week our office administrator was on vacation with her family and I worked six of the last seven days. For a few of those the owner of our company was out herself with out of town guests. I had a ten minute lunch ONE day and not even a short break the rest. My feet are swollen from all the walking and running around I did. I was so looking forward to a restful weekend. I found out last weekend that one of the girls in our office was having a baby shower on Sunday. At 12:30. I felt obligated to go and besides that I really like her. Today I woke up sat down with a cup of coffee and just beamed thinking about a day to do only what I wanted to. Rob decided today was the day he was going to clean the garage (that is before cutting the lawn). I went in and was helping to straighten out shelves with kitchen overflow items. I pulled out a few things I had been looking for and came in to wash them. Rob came in a few minutes later holding our mini food processor. He said he thought he had broken the safety switch and was going to check it. He plugged it in and it didn't work. He then plugged it into a different outlet and when it didn't work again he decided to hold a knife down where the missing piece would have been. Boom! The thing immediately cut on and he began to shriek. I looked over to see blood, plenty of it.
"I need stitches." I had to gather my wits about me and put on a clean shirt and flip flops before driving him to the emergency room. Thankfully, we were taken right in. It turned out that there were four cuts, one being much worse than the others. We had to wait an hour for him to get stitched up and receive his tetanus shot. I felt so badly for him. They told him that he would be fine to work in a few days. Really? With four cuts sutured, with a total of fourteen stitches?
We left with two scripts: one for pain meds and one for antibiotics.
My son came over and cut all the grass for us. I am thankful that the garage was not totally torn apart at that point. It needs some tweeking but that's about it. The doctor said she thought a cocktail was in order for me today. SO.....for medicinal purposes I shall have at least one.
Earlier this week (Wednesday evening) Rob with the help of a few neighbors, installed an over the stove microwave. I was finally able to toss the one I had with paint chips coming off the roof. It also took up so much counter space, which is in short supply in this house. I had done without one for several days so we had quite the supply of leftovers. Rob and I moved the kitchen cabinet that the microwave goes under, up several inches. It now sits above the rest and I like it. That is the "new look". On top of our cabinets I have my collection of Roseville pottery. This is pottery that sold for a few dollars during the Depression Era but now goes for hundreds each piece. Two of my prize pieces are baskets with twig handles. I really love my kitchen. It's got many touches of a country kitchen (complete with a repo farm table) but the appliances are white with some black giving them a sleek look. I guess I should move downstairs to the kitchen and get my finishing touches on my dinner plans. Last night when Rob got home I presented him with a paper. I made a faux menu with all our leftovers and let him select. I did prepare fresh tomato slices over fresh mozzarella cheese sprinkled with garlic infused olive oil, garlic infused red wine vinegar and fresh basil sprinkled on top. It's so easy and fabulous.
Bon appetit'.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Oh Rooooobbbbbbb (Insert Laura Petrie voice, please...)

Love Roseville and hope the cocktail turned into two cocktails and you got to take a breath.