Thursday, August 10, 2006

A day well spent

Today was a much needed day home. I actually had much to do. Balance the checking statement. Something there was amiss but not so far off I had to be concerned so I sat that aside. Was sitting here trying to get zenned when I remembered my car had to go through inspection. Jumped up and ran out the door. I was so relieved when only three cars were ahead of me. They were quite slow today but twenty or so minutes later I left with my new sticker. All set for another two years.

Leaving there I decided to treat myself to a much needed pedicure. During the summer I wear all flip/flops or sandals and I like my toes to look neat and summery. I got hot pink to match my favorite (leather) flip flops. After leaving the nail place I treated myself to a chili dog. I rarely eat things like that anymore but seeing that it is summer I felt compelled. After that I ran over to Walmart. I have been needing a lighted and magnified mirror. I am so blind without my glasses but unable to see the mirrors on my dresser or over the bathroom sink without them. This mirror magnifies 7 times. It just happened to match my bathroom with it's brushed nickel finish. What a bargain! The plastic version of it in a famous store was about $50 and I got this one for under $20. I came home and immediately saw a magnified close up of my face for the first time in years. I put on some blush and eye makeup after perfecting my eyebrows. I have noticed at work I am the only person who doesn't wear a lot of makeup. (Well, besides a woman 60ish who is from Ireland and a mother earth type). Most of these women wear thick eyeliner and frankly, that's just not me. I am more a natural makeup type. My eyes are small and slanted sort of and without any makeup on them they are lost. Still, a touch of mascara and when going out, a touch of shadow are all I bother with. I do add blush and lipstick at times. I just can't imagine spending an hour or so each day putting on the whole 9 yards. If I'm honest there are days that I throw my hair up on my head with my hands without even brushing it. Not that you could tell that mind you. There was the one time that I arrived at my destination only to realize I had on TWO different shoes. They were both black pumps with low heels (one being about two inches lower than the other.) I actually realized this when a woman (who happened to be a New York stockbroker) leaned over and whispered to me that I was wearing two non matching shoes. This took place at a charity luncheon in a posh country club ocean setting. I laughed and told her that explained why I was limping earlier and couldn't figure out why. She later spotted me across the room at another charity function ran over and said "Shoe check." I was thrilled to learn that she made it out of the Twin Towers on 9/11. She had three small children I had seen with her once.

I guess I will never be the type of person people look at and wonder how she can put it together so well. That's okay though. I've learned to prioritize. Today I did a few things for myself. A few minutes spent meditating do a lot more for me than a compliment that my makeup is perfect.
At this point if I get where I need to be on time I feel good about myself. Now time to run down and find something suitable to serve for dinner.

3 comments:

jennifer said...

LOL I did the shoe thing too once - to work. But mine were just different colors: black and navy. At least I didn't have heels.

You didn't notice a two-inch HEEL difference? Were you drinking?

:o)

Theresa Williams said...

LOL, I always feel good about myself when I'm on time. I'm a chronic late-comer.

Cynthia said...

I used to refuse to leave the house without a full face of makeup and my hair done. Now, unless, I'm going on a sales call, it's barefaced for me. I love the stuff, but I just don't want to give it the time. I've done the shoe thing before, mismatched colors, one time, even two completely different styles but the same color. One had open toes, and the other didn't. Now, the heel height, I might have noticed.