Monday, July 03, 2006

Some Relaxing Time

This has been the first week since I went to work nearly a year ago that I got to have four consecutive days off. I am only part time and don't get any vacation so I take time off sparingly.

My friend (childhood best) invited us to her home outside of Phila. I was psyched. She has a new home and is fixing it up as only she can. She has some eclectic tastes with a heavy passion for art. She recently met a new artist whose works are unique. She doesn't have a website so I can't post what she does but I am intrigued by them. She purchased one called "Self portrait" that I am mad for. The price tag is too hefty for me to own any of her work but it is just so different. She bought three pieces from her. The young artist also does prints of her pieces which she is selling for $500. For that kind of money I want an original piece of art. When I first married I had been given an original piece of art. Sadly, it was not something I liked. The typical empty row boat next to a barn. I never even hung it and sold it at a yard sale years later. The ONLY piece of real art I have is one that has brought me tremendous joy. It is the sunflower picture (perhaps I should say one of them) painted by the gifted artist Judith Heartstrong. I love it and when guests come in my home they always remark about it. Someday I hope to purchase a second work and put this one into my favorite room of my home, the bedroom. My friend's house is filled with artwork, all originals. Her home is also filled with many candles, fresh flowers and all kind of unusual things which are fascinating.

We were having a delightful visit with her parents, sister, son, daughter and niece and nephew when we sat down to our second meal. Our lunch had been a feast for the bodies and senses. For dinner we just did burgers and dogs on the grill. The long haired chihuaha grabbed Rob's burger which he hadn't touched. He grabbed the burger and pulled the remaining part (outside of the dog's mouth out). We were laughing and he reached down to pet the dog when it bit him. Not realized how bad the bite was at first we laughed, thinking the dog had grazed him. When he came out of the bathroom, with blood pouring off his hand, I realized that the dog had made some puncture wounds. At that point the combination of drinking beer, playing badminton in the sun, overeating, indulging in extra helpings of cheesecake took it's toll on the poor guy. He laid down but then I just told him let's head home. We had brought a backpack prepared to stay over but we learned that her son and his girlfriend had the same idea. There was only one air mattress up for grabs and since Rob was feeling so hot, I felt we were better off taking the hour or so drive home.

My son spent the night here as he was pet sitting for us. This morning he got up at 4:30 to go take care of his bird before heading off to work. I feel badly for him. He had about 4 hours sleep. He will have off tomorrow. We had left Duffy with him and gone away for the weekend when Duff was a few months old. The minute Tom arrives Duffy starts pacing and acts weird. Even today is at odds, I suspect he has seperation anxiety.

My parents just called. They finally got some gas in their grill bottle. It's only TWO years old and this is the first time it's been filled. They are having burgers and some trimmings and want us to come by. I guess we will do that. I had intended to bake cupcakes..wonder if there's still time.

One other thing.....this past week my air conditioner went. My one neighbor who does plumbing/air conditioning repair/heating repair offered to take a look at it. He knew immediately that the motor which runs both heat and air was burned out. He contacted another neighbor, Jeff whose Dad owns a heating/plumbing parts business. Jeff was able to FIND one (they are no longer being manufactured) and get it to us overnight. He only wanted us to pay what it cost him to get it. We gave him that and money to take his family out for ice cream. The plumber, Ken, told us he would not accept money. He put in the motor and noticed that we also needed freon. He told us he would have to charge us for that. He came within hours of the part arriving which Jeff had hand delivered to us. We gave Ken the money for the freon and money to take his family out to lunch. He didn't want to take it but I INSISTED. I have to say that when things go bad and you find out that there are people out there who still have heart, who care enough to help out a neighbor, it renews your faith in mankind. I have lived in neighborhoods where money flowed. In this neighborhood people live (for the most part) from paycheck to paycheck. I have never experienced such an outpouring of support and kindness. These wonderful people do not care about anyone's color, marital state or physcial attributes. Everyone (with the exception of two neighbors who attempt to cause problems for others and who are very mean)
is treated equally. I often think of "Dr. King's I have a dream speech". I hope he can look down and see our little corner of the world. Brotherhood is alive and well and we live where we are judged by the contents of our character.

Happy July 4th. America is not perfect but neither am I and I love her.

(Forgive my errors but I am typing this on a computer that doesn't allow pop ups so I cannot use the spell check feature.)

1 comment:

amy said...

I have always found that the people with the least are the most generous with what they do have :)