Saturday, July 15, 2006

Happy 94th birthday to my grandmother


Today is a special day. My grandmother turned 94 today. I was with her on Thursday but right now she is visiting some other family members and attending some church activities she wanted to this weekend. We had her cake on Thursday night but when she returns I will have another one for her. I mean she deserves it!

My grandmother is such a special person in my life. When I was little (up until the age of ten) I often lived with her and my grandfather. My Dad was in the Navy and often abroad. When he was stationed near us we only saw him on weekends. My mother had four kids (one was born after his retirement) and was overwhelmed. Her mother was a block away from the house they built when I was six. Up until then we often lived with my grandparents in their two bedroom home. Talk about a tight squeeze. They lived in Silver Spring, Maryland and my grandfather was a policeman (the FIRST motorcycle officer they had.....and he had a white Harley). My grandparents were the kind who always doled out hugs and kisses. At that time policmen didn't make much money....money was so tight with both my parents and grandparents. Still my grandmother always put beautiful meals on the table and made sure that we had everything that we needed. I will never forget when I got my first bicycle at the police auction. They bought it for me and I was so proud of it.

When I told my family I was getting divorced they were all angry with me......except for my grandmother. She trusted me to know what was best for me. She even went so far as to tell a minister that by refusing to marry me later that he was judging me. To have support like that means the world to someone who is hurting.

Throughout life we have many blessings. When I was receiving radiation treatments my grandparents drove 200 miles to be with me through some of those bleakest hours. There has never been a day in my life that my grandmother has not showered me with unconditional love. She now does the same for Rob and my son.

I am so very blessed and so proud to have this beautiful woman for my grandmother. God bless you always.

1 comment:

jennifer said...

Happy (belated) Birthday, Grandmom!