Friday, July 28, 2006

It's Electric!

Last night our sky was lit up with the loudest, most intense lightning. We had some the other night as well. Seems this heat has the weather electrified. I was supposed Duffy didn't mind the loud booms from the thunder but he didn't. My mother was always terrified of lightning telling stories of how as a young girl lightning hit the kitchen table and it fell in half. Today on the news they said two golfers in New York were hit and one died. They were in a shelter area. I feel safe inside my house but I wait to crawl into my metal bed frame until the worst is over. Tomorrow they are predicting temps that will feel 100. I am working so I'll be indoors but the return to the car late afternoon will no doubt be unpleasant.
This morning my sister-in-law had surgery to remove two tumors. They knew early on they were not cancerous but they were obstructing her throat and chest. Turns out they had to remove her nerve to her vocal cords and she will need speech therapy but the tumors will be gone. I know she'll be so relieved that it's over. It was postponed because the surgeon who performed this (in the Boston area) is leaving soon for Japan to speak. She went to many doctors before finding one would agree to do it. Apparently it was quite involved and we were happy to hear she came through the surgery well. Day before yesterday we got a phone call that Rob's other sister's husband was in the ER with a burst appendix. I was shocked to learn they sent him home tonight. He has to have an IV in his arm and a visiting nurse must come to administer IV antibiotics. These insurance companies have gone too far in my opinion. Your entire body is full of poison and they send you home with a fever?
My grandmother is here for her last weekend. I have enjoyed her so much. We have gone out do dinner, gone there and taken dinner twice and had lunch twice. The other day when we were leaving a diner I hugged her and told her having her here was such a treat. She replied that she always worries that she will be a burden. I assured her helping her get in and out of my mother's van, or up and down a flight of diner stairs is something that I will never mind doing. She does seem proud when no one can believe she is 94. Her hair is primarily brown. She has fewer wrinkles than her daughter. She should be the Ponds Cold Cream cover girl. Seriously.
Well, time to kick back and enjoy the weekend.

1 comment:

alphawoman said...

Isn't it amazing how your life is stamped on your face? Your Granny sounds wonderful. Especially to have all her marbles at 94!!