Saturday, July 08, 2006

It's my birthday!

Today is my birthday. Hallelujah! I made it another year. That is THE gift. On my birthday I always think back to my cancer diagnosis at 23. It's been nearly thirty years since then. I guess that makes me a scrapper. I am in many ways. I am a paradox: the gentlest of the gentle at times, the weakest of the weak and at other times tough as nails.

My friend and I that had a standing arrangement of taking each other out to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch on our birthdays left me high and dry. She has other problems to deal with and knows I will understand. I do understand but it still stings somewhat.

My boss/friend gave me a beautiful arrangement of flowers which include pink roses and purple daisies. So colorful and fragrant. I got some checks and something sweet and thoughtful from Rob. I have yet to cut my cake. My son is on his way over shortly and we'll cut it then. I have my son. He survived leukemia. Another gift. Of the only important kind. I have a new coworker. Her son committed suicide. She is such a wonderful person. I have the utmost respect for her and she is so very likeable. Not enough things could be said to do her justice. I know what it's like to FACE the loss of a child without actually losing one. Her pain must be tenfold because it didn't have to be. I have been thinking so much about people who in utter despair end their lives. I understand it. Just a way to make the pain stop. I also think that at that time they must not be able to think of the pain they leave behind them. I wish they could.

I am 52 years old today. That may sound old to some. I am a survivor. I have survived Hodgkins disease, breast cancer, open heart surgery (and the receiving of a mechanical part), and a failed marriage. I have shed many tears. I have laughed and shared wonderful moments with friends. My cup is not half full, it overflows with all the wonderful things that life has brought me. I am loved. For that I am so grateful and my spirit sings.

6 comments:

alphawoman said...

Happy Birthday Nelle!! Sounds like you are truly tough as nails. Hope you have another 52 years ahead of you (healthy!!)

amy said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope your weekend was as wonderful as you are :)

jennifer said...

Nelle, I am such an idiot. And I'm late, as usual.

Happy Birthday! And Mary's right - you are tough, and you have many more birthdays to celebrate!

Cynthia said...

A late happy birthday to you! Here's to a lot more life for us all.

AlbGlinka said...

A slightly belated Happy Birthday, Nelle! Wow-- you have survived through so much-- you obviously have a lot left to give to the world-- best wishes for the coming year, Albert

Donna. W said...

Hey, my birthday is July 7, 1944. Next time, let's celebrate together!

http://journals.aol.com/mosie1944/MYCOUNTRYLIFE/