Monday, March 14, 2011

Monday Musings

I had a really nice weekend (except for the sleepless night on Saturday.) My sister came early Saturday morning. She had a few hours with my mother (I always try to allow them sometime without me there) then they called me asking me to go out with them. We went to the Dollar Store and got our bargains. I got a lot of cards there. Afterwards we retried what had once been our favorite diner. In the New York area diners are a bit different than elsewhere. You can get some fabulous dinners. In New York state some diners even serve liquor. This diner had changed hands a few times and the last time I was there it left a lot to be desired. They had remodeled and we had a very nice dinner. I had crab cakes which were all crab, almost no filler and my sister had the sole stuffed with crab meat. Our portions were large and there was no room for the included dessert so we got rice pudding to go. We went back to my mother's and worked with her on a jigsaw puzzle. She always enjoyed them and now has several new ones. For the most part she is doing well, although she has some bad moments. I was spending every waking moment there but slowly am trying to get her used to having some time on her own as I am slated to return to work April 1st. That will be hard for her. We have done a lot and today she was dropping off the last of Dad's clothes to be donated to a bowery mission in New York. Seeing the clothes in the bags was really hard for me. I know they will be put to good use. He had visited the mission with his minister once or twice. Every now and then I almost pinch myself and ask "Can he really be gone?" It puzzles me how I can do that after attending his funeral and visiting his grave half a dozen times already. I guess it's all part of the grieving process. When I was out of work five years ago my Dad would just show up at my door. It was usually around lunch time and he would ask "What's for lunch?" At times I was busy doing other things and I would kind of sigh. Now I would give anything to have him throw open my front door and have lunch with me again. The last two years there was a rare time you could have a give and take converstation. He had aphasia then just gave up talking except for simple words like yes and no. If he got irritated he would let you know with shocking entire phrases or sentences like "Leave me alone" or "Go away". If you were lucky you got a smile from time to time and that made my day. We lost him slowly over time and then at the end, it was like we lost him twice.

My sister brought Office 2007 for students with her. I have been wanting it for a long time. Now I finally have a word program in the laptop. I also was able to convert my old word files. I have an excel spreadsheet with names and addresses that I used for Christmas cards. I have to try to figure out how to do that in this version. It gives me something to do. I had also done two journals (favorite poetry and favorite receipes) that are in a Corel program. Can't seem to get them open now. I would like to have them put into word.

It's chilly today. Overcast but no rain predicted. I am going to stay home today. Just take some time and watch an old movie. No doubt my neighbor Stacey will come over at some point. She has been wonderful with her caring and support.
They wanted to take us to a concert but we declined. I don't want to leave my mother for hours yet. It's a lot what she has and continues to go through. It has changed her and made her more emotional in a positive way. Life goes on but I think these experiences change us all. Now when I know someone has lost a parent I will reach out to them and let them know that I understand.

No comments: