Friday, March 11, 2011

Life Goes On

I have spent so much time thinking about friendship and making many observations. I have found that the friends who tell that they love you, promise to be there for you always etc. are the ones who let you down. My other friends who never made promises were the ones who were here for me. In fact, one cried when hearing a phone message from someone who always said they were my best friend. I have discovered that these people when presented with the truth try to turn it around and blame me. I tried to hang on to friends I had a history with but the truth is time passes and people change. I don't make promises to friends but when they need me I do my best to be there. Is expecting to be treated the way you treat others too much to ask? I don't think so.

My Mom has had a few really bad days. I have had to go there and give her sick dog medicine that she can't get her to take. I wrote some thank you cards today for her and made lists for her. Every single thing is a reminder of a person who is no longer there. She has also had two close friends who have not called or visited and I know that is bothering her as they were both widowed in the past few years. They came to her house all the time then and she was there for them.
I remember one friend who just came sat and cried.

My one friend talked to me yesterday and told me that she cannot allow people to get too close to her anymore. She was hurt too badly and just couldn't put herself out there again. A part of me feels that way. The other part knows that there are genuine people out there, some who have touched me in a way I won't forget. I do know this has taught me that I will never underestimate the power of a sympathy card. Each one I received was cherished. It's not a hard thing to do but it means so much to someone when they are grieving.

Lent started this week. For lent I am giving up friends who profess to love me but whose actions say something entire differently. No relationship is 100% bad and of course I got some good from them but I need much healthier relationships.

1 comment:

Bookncoffee said...

Hang in there Nelle. I'm convinced these end times are leaving us all to our own agendas. No one perfect but we all must try to be there for one another. I have had to try and comprehend that the only way I'm ever going to be loved anymore is to just "love" others myself. Hard to even find anyone to love you unconditionally anymore. It's a crazy world. You are a good person and your Mom is lucky to have you to help her and look out for her. Sending you good vibes, good prayers, and some good friendship.
Sonya