Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

Terry asked that I post the receipe for Irish soda bread. I have tried many different recipes and this one came from an actual Irish paper or magazine. It is my favorite and the only one I make now. Mind you, you need buttermilk for it. Also, there is baking powder AND baking soda. The powder gets added to the flour mix but the baking soda gets mixed with the liquids.

4 cups sifted flour (all purpose)
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bakign powder
2 Tbsps caraway seeds
1/4 c butter or margarine
2 C raisins
1 1/3 c buttermilk
1 egg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg yolk, beaten

Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into mixing bowl; stire in caraway seeds. Cut in butter until mixture looks like coarse meal; stir in raisins.
Combine buttermilk, 1 egg and baking soda; stir into flour mixture just enough to moisten dry ingredients.
Turn onto floured board and knead lightly until dough is smooth. Shape into a ball and place in a greased 2 quart casserole. With a sharp knife, cut a cross about 4 inches across and 1/2 inches deep in center of dough. Brush with egg yolk.
Bake in a moderate 375 degree oven about one hour or until an inserted cake tester or wooden pick comes out clean.
Cool bread in casserole 10 mins. then remove. Cool on wire rack before cutting. To serve, cut down through loaf to divide it into quarters; thinly slice each quarter. Makes 1 loaf.

I should have taken a picture of mine before cutting it but my mother had just come in, it was warm and I quickly cut it so she could have some. I have several family members who cannot have the caraway seeds so for theirs I leave them out. I make sure the raisins are fresh, if not I soak them for a bit first.

And if any of you are interested in a gluten free recipe found this one:
http://www.mnn.com/food/recipes/blogs/recipe-gluten-free-irish-soda-bread

1 comment:

TARYTERRE said...

You made my day. What a surprise. Thanks so much for posting the recipe. I'm going to try it and see if my luck changes. My grandma died before I was able to get a copy of hers.