Thursday, June 22, 2006

Gearing into summer mode

It's official. Yesterday was the first day of summer. To me summer is the time I get to wear the clothes I love most. Cotton tops and skirts....billowing in the summer breeze. Top on my list is flip flops. I have them in many colors and some are leather and quite fancy. Others are the basic type. I simply love them. Last week I received a chain letter from a neighbor where I was asked to send someone a pair of flip flops. I did and found that it cost me about $5 to send the flip flops that I was able to get on sale from Old Navy for $2.50. Anyway I thought that person would enjoy receiving a fun summer package.

It's really been hot here in the Northeast. I keep watering my plants and trees. Tomorrow evening we are supposed to get a heavy rain storm. I planted some small trees and shrubs and they are like my babies. I love flowers and all nature. We have a bird bath and two bird feeders near our wooded area of the backyard. I get such pleasure watching the birds and the trees in the wind and sun. We enjoy our patio very much but when it's 90 and very humid I can't enjoy it too much until the sun goes down. We are considering getting some type of outdoor fire pit or chiminea for chilly evenings. I have noticed it also seems to keep the mosquitoes at bay. I miss my fireplace from my old house. This house doesn't really have a place for one. Our neighborhood has been upset over the one neighbor who filed a complaint against another for using his chiminea. The man who filed the complaint uses a charcoal grill and puts enough lighter fluid on it to cause huge flames. Then he complains that his neighbors clean fire wood burning is what causes smoke. I don't buy it. I am a live and let live kind of person. I am happy to help any neighbors or friends. I hate people who are confrontational and want to impose their preferences on others. It's the only thing I am intolerant about. Sometimes I wish I had a time machine. I wish I could go back to the hippie period and hang out in Haight Ashbury. I want to attend a love in. Wear beads and flash the peace sign. I know that can't happen but can't we just have neighborhood peace and brotherly love. Being the perpetual optomist I sent the disturbed neighbor a note and suggested that. Now when he passes he looks at me like I'm the crazy one. I kind of like that. Maybe I have him thinking.

2 comments:

alphawoman said...

I loved this....

Virginia said...

I love to sit outside too... but the heat gets to be too much sometimes. My dream is to have a dock on a lake to spend leisurely afternoons and evenings on.

Peace, Virginia