Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Sorting Things Out

This week I began sorting through my clothes. I had many professional outfits, suits, dress slacks, blouses, blazers that I no longer needed. I remembered hearing about an organization called Dress for Success who provide women trying to enter the job force with an interview suit. If the woman gets hired, they will give her four more outfits. They even collect and provide accessories such as scarves and jewelery. I was so thrilled to donate about six suits, six blazers, eight pairs of dress slacks, two cardigans, hosiery and an almost brand new pair of nice shoes. My friend went with me and she made about four trips to the car to carry it all in. As I was leaving I got a bit overwhelmed. I didn't expect to have to stop working for a few more years. It's been a difficult adjustment for me. I miss my coworkers and the income I had become used to. I also miss my health insurance from my employer which covered much more. My friend Monica was so great and supportive. We went out to lunch and had a nice visit. When we were leaving the restaurant  my friend just walked up and gave me the biggest hug and told me how much my friendship meant to her and how much she loved me. That was the best medicine ever. I told her that when I thought about her the other day she had always been there in the hard times for me. I came home feeling so much better. I dropped off some other things that were not dress clothes and some household items to Goodwill on the way home.

Today I got up and decided to go to the factory outlets. I called my sister-in-law who was excited to go with me. She loves to shop. We bought some Christmas gifts (great bargains) at the Coach and Yankee Candle stores and then went for lunch. We chatted and laughed and again I was really enjoying myself. My sister-in-law was injured in a car accident and has had numerous surgeries on her one leg. It will never be what it once was and she has pain in it, a lot. She understands what it is like to have to stop working years before you planned to. She knows the frustration of having surgery and then learning that the situation remained unchanged. Still, we manage to laugh and have some fun. She's a lovely person.

On Monday I saw my NJ cardiologist. It was a disappointing visit. There are some new problems and I will need another stress test before we know what has happened. In the meantime I am trying to focus on the positive. Dr. A told me he heard more fluid in/around the lungs. Ugh. One day at at time.

Tonight we had freshly grown NJ corn on the cob and cantaloupe I bought at a farm market earlier today. I have a watermelon, zucchini, scallions and Romaine lettuce I also purchased. The joys of summer.

1 comment:

Ronni Gordon said...

Dress for Success in a wonderful group. When my mother died, we donated many of her beautiful suits to the organization and drew satisfaction from knowing how much the donation would help women in need. I'm glad you also went for some "retail therapy." Since you have given away your work clothes, I hope you treat yourself to some fun "at-home" clothes. When you go shopping, don't forget that you deserve to spend some money on yourself! It doesn't have to be a lot...maybe some cozy sweatshirts or sweaters for fall/winter or something like that. I expect to see a post telling what you got yourself.