Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A Gratifying Tuesday

Yesterday I did something that was long overdue. I went and made things right with a friend that I love very much. When I was having my last heart surgery this friend was supposed to go out with myself and another friend and at the last minute her then boyfriend called and insisted she see him that night. (She just jumped through hoops for this guy and they are now broken up.) I was so hurt. Later when I came home from the hospital and she called I wouldn't take her calls. That year she sent me flowers on my birthday and I sent her a note thanking her for them but telling her I was so disappointed in her as a friend. Now that I am older and wiser I like to think of a quote I once read "Stroke it don't erase it." A few years ago I began to think of all the times this friend WAS there for me, and there were plenty. We met when our children had leukemia in a support group. I was in her home the last weeks of her daughter's life and there for her afterwards. That's what hurt me so badly. I now realize this: she made a mistake. A friendship shouldn't be lost because of a mistake. So I have thought about her hundreds of times. Yesterday I was out running errands and I got detoured and found myself in front of her development. It was karma and I knew it was the right time. I rang her bell and she opened the door. We both stood there hugging and crying for a long time. Then she invited me in and we sat down at her kitchen table (as we have for twenty years) and had coffee. There is not much as gratifying as a visit with an old friend. No one else understands what I went through with my son. She was part of it. She was always wonderful to him and like me, he loved her daughter. I explained to her that I made a mistake and she said "Don't explain. You're here and back in my life. That's enough." She then called her friend to tell her and she was thrilled also. I am now trying to reunite a third friend of ours. I have mailed her a letter this morning. Let's hope soon the three of us will be together again. One of the best times of my life was when they took me to Atlantic City for my 40th. The following day they had a surprise party for me as well.

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Friends are hard to find and even harder to keep. Glad you rekindled your relationship with your friend. Here is hoping you have lots of new adventures.

Anonymous said...

You are a better person than I am.

Cynthia said...

Good for you! I am so proud of you.