Monday, February 28, 2011

My Father's Passing

On Feb. 22nd my father entered eternal rest. It was a gentle passing and my hopes and prayers were answered as it was in his sleep and as my mother slept nearby and never heard anything we know it was not traumatic. She awoke at 4 a.m. and he was already gone. She called the hospice nurse to come and then my brother and I went there and and saw him before the funeral home came.

Later we went and made the arrangements and on Thursday, Feb. 24th it was just one service: an hour viewing followed by a funeral service. He looked so wonderful. His coloring was perfect and he was buried with a gold and diamond tietack I had bought him. It was his and I insisted. We left the funeral in a short procession to the cemetery. The state police escorted us (my nephew is a state trooper and his friends volunteered their off duty time.) When we arrived there were two Navy officers. I am posted a picture or of that. They played Taps and presented Mom with his casket flag. Rob took out his phone and snapped a few pictures which turned out beautifully (at Mom's request.)
My mother is doing better than any of us expected. I have been spending most of my time at her house helping. Her sister and niece stayed there all last week and then my sister came from upstate NY and later my brother and his wife. It was chaotic with us five kids and spouses but it all worked out. We were the recipients of constant food and floral deliveries and there was an abundance like I have never seen. Mom had a catered luncheon back at the church after the cemetery and we had those leftovers too! At least a dozen people bought food and some paid a restaurant to deliver cooked food.
I must say this: I am so saddened by the lack of acknowledgement of my coworkers that I have worked with for 3 1/2 years. I cannot focus on that but it has made me realize at a time such as this how just a simple email saying I care or a card means so very much.
I have letters to write and much to do but I wanted to post this and let you all know. I will be out of work until April 1st now. I still have plural effusion (fluid surrounding my lungs) and it causes me difficulty in breathing. I have been running a low grade temp as well. Hoping that will clear up.
OH! The day of my Dad's funeral my son who had been ill for several days went to the ER and collapsed. They admitted him and he was inpatient for three days. He had a bad stomach virus and had to be in isolation. He came home Saturday. He has his own apartment, he doesn't live with me and I couldn't be around him. Rob did go take him magazines and visit with him.
My phone is starting to ring a lot....I have lots to do. Life goes on and I am taking it one day at a time.


alphawoman said...

Oh Nelle, I am so sorry to hear this but I know that in some ways it is a good thing. We hate to see our parents suffer and when they finally let go it is a sad relief. My prayers and thoughts sent your way.


My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. Let the memories of your dad sustain you as you face the years ahead without him. He's in a better place now. You take care of yourself.

Ronni Gordon said...

So sorry to hear about your father. I know how hard it is. Glad it was peaceful and that your mother is doing OK.

Judith HeartSong said...

Dear Nelle,

Your good friends are always there for you...... it sounds like it was a beautiful service and I am glad you were able to be there. I hope that you rest and fell better soon. As I said earlier, we send love and a warm hug.