Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Verizon FIOS

Yesterday I waited all day for Verizon to come. I was scheduled for 9:30 a.m. I was told.
Apparently that was not correct. At 11 a.m. I called to ask where they were. I was told that the inquiry would be passed on and that the tech would be contacted and he would contact me.
I was told I would hear shortly. Well over three hours later I called again. Heard the same story again. About 4p.m. I got very impatient. I knew this was a job that would take 4 or more hours.
At that point I insisted on speaking with a supervisor. She was very nice and offered to reschedule but I told her that I had missed work and preferred they still come. The nicest guy Cliff called me at 5:30. He told me that they would have to travel an hour back to the warehouse and get parts for my installation then head over here so it was about two hours from that point that they would arrive. He insisted they were more than willing to come so I told them to come ahead. They arrived at 8 p.m. This was much more involved than I could have imagined. Once they had run the line from the box to the house they needed to make a hole. I showed them that there was an electrical device which was on the inside wall. That device allows the meter to be read from the outside. He told me that they would be careful not to disturb it. COUGH COUGH.
A short time later the apprentice (and honestly a great guy, Jeff) opened the door and told me OOPS they had drilled through one of those wires. I told them just to continue and I would deal with that today. They continued and I am happy to report that they gave me a wireless router as opposed to the corded one I had. Actually it's a DUAL router and by leaving my computer hooked up with the wire my connection is faster. This will enable me if/when I get a lap top to have router access from downstairs. The connection is so much faster than DSL had been. It's a pleasure to have the webpages load so fast.

Early this morning I called the water company to tell them about the box. Cliff said if they hit me for paying for it, they would pay but the man told me they will fix it at no charge. I may end up with another hole in the garage wall though if they cannot fish out the wire. The builder had put in the first one. Oh well. I have to give it to the techs, they were here until just before 1 a.m.
At one point Cliff asked if we could send out for a pizza and I realized they hadn't stopped for dinner. I made them cheese steaks. It's important for me to feel that anyone who does work in my house still receives hospitality. They were very appreciative. I have been shocked at stories some workmen have told me while I am serving them coffee. Sometimes homeowners do not permit them to use their bathrooms.

My sister-in-law is undergoing her surgery. I am anxiously waiting for news but it's only 1:45 and we don't expect to hear anything before 4 at the very earliest. My poor mother-in-law is at the hospital by herself today. Her sister is helping by being there for our niece. She's in school and then goes to after school program when the aunt will pick her up and take her back to the house. I am hoping my mother-in-law will be able to drive home tonight and tuck her granddaughter in. They are very close. I must keep very busy and I have many cleaning jobs I am going to tackle.

No comments: