Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Today is Valentine's Day and I want to wish everyone a wonderful day. We can all find love in our lives if we look around. It doesn't have to be a significant other, it can be a beloved pet or friend. I am lucky to have Rob (we have been together twelve years) and friends and my beloved furbabies who all shower me with love. Friends can often disappoint us and I am trying to remind myself that most of my friends have never been sick. They are clueless to what I am going through/the battle of the past few years. I have tried to talk online with other people who have pulmonary hypertension. I have so much in common with them and they all struggle with friends who are also clueless when they are having a bad day. There really isn't anything anyone can do other than to be empathetic and understanding. One of the things that I don't like about Facebook is that people read your statuses and think they are following what is happening in your life. They throw a comment here and there and think that is what friendship is. Perhaps to some that is what it is but not to me. It's a good way to stay in touch with acquaintances but I don't think it can be a subsitute for a genuine friendship. The older I get the more I realize they are few and far between.
Today we acknowledge love and how sweet it is. I know what it is like to need someone and not have anyone, although I was married. Rob has filled so many voids in my life. He has been my everything the past few years. It's been a heavy burden for him to carry but he never complains. I wish I had the money to show up at his job with a brand new car for him. I wish I could do the most wonderful things for him but I am so limited. All I can do is show him what he means to me and try to take care of him the best I can.
Today I am going to treat myself to a pedicure. I'm not really supposed to have one but we won't tell the doctor. My toenails are a mess and it hurts me to try to do anything with them. Anytime I get in a position where I am compressing my lungs I get lightheaded and have been told I could pass out. Not cool. I need a mental health lift for myself. Where else can I get there for $20.00? A bargain I think. So today I will get a bright and cheery color (to combat the drab of winter without the ice sparkling.) I will think of those who have made me feel so loved and hope today they know how special they are.

2 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I agree that it's MORE than commenting that lets you know a person and call them a friend. Our blogs provide such a personal glimpse inside each others lives, that it opens our hearts to each other. It is hard to know what to say or how to help when someone is going through WHAT you are. Support, Love, caring, concern, prayers... are all WE sitting on the sidelines can offer. And I realize that is not much given your struggle. But it is from the heart. I did NOT want the day to slip away before wishing you and your husband a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. I hope it was a GOOD day. Take care.

alphawoman said...

Happy belated V-day. $20 can buy happiness? Yeck yes! go for it!