Sunday, November 21, 2010

Serenity Found Me Today

Today was a relaxed day. I had a nice glass of wine as I loaded some music into my laptop which is now a year old. I got a blackberry last weekend and I am trying to get some music together to load into that. It was so odd, my grandmother's estate was finally settled. I didn't get a lot of money but for the past year extra money has been rare so we splurged. We each got the blackberry torch (a great deal I might add) and I finally have internet on my phone. I also got two pairs of boots which were badly needed.


Yesterday a respiratory therapist came and delivered my Cpap machine. They name is discomfort. This is what the mask looks like and it is fastened to your head with two separate elastic bands. The top one dug into my head but if it is too loose then there is no seal and the air leaks out. Grrrr. I only made it an hour and a half last night. Going to try to do better tonight. She said it would take time. Perhaps in a year or so...lol.
I am still in my pajamas. My ex went bonkers if I didn't get dressed early in the morning. When I didn't feel well it was really difficult. I am so glad that my life has changed in so many ways. I have freedom to do what I want. Rob never tries to boss me around. He accepts that I am his equal and that I am perfectly capable of making whatever decisions I might need to. Even when I make decisions that he is unsure of, he supports me.
I have had to make some decisions lately that have been difficult and lead to some family upsets. Due to my health I will not be going to my parents for Thanksgiving. My Mom refuses to use her dishwasher and she is getting very bad about washing her dishes. It's a chance I just cannot take. I have tried taking over plastic things and it just doesn't work. My mother understood but my sister was upset, feeling I wasn't making enough of an effort. Well, last year I missed a total of 7 months of work due to illness. I no longer have FMLA and if I go out sick again I can be let go. Sorry, these are chances I cannot take. If I get sick taking precautions, then so be it but I won't put myself in harms way.
Never having been sick a day in her life, she cannot understand what I am going through. I get that but I told her she needs to stop expecting things of me that I cannot give. I am willing to send dinner over to them but not cart an entire meal. My mother has about a dozen steps to get to her front door. I gasp for air and that's without carrying anything! I am on one new med that has helped, at least some of the time. In two weeks the cardiologist will consider changing another med I have been on, thinking it is now part of the problem. We shall see.
Christmas is coming. I refuse to stress myself. From here on out it's about enjoying the moments. I am going to work each day and my down time will be spent doing what I need to do for me first. After that I will be happy to help friends and family, providing it doesn't have a negative effect on my health.
I feel like I am in a good place.
Have a great Thanksgiving. We all have so much to be thankful for: a roof over our heads, food on our tables, love of family and/or friends, and I am grateful for technology which lets me communicate with you. I am so very grateful to Rob, always there, never complaining and just loving me. It doesn't get better than that. My prince came. He wasn't tall or rich but he was honest and kind and loving. I can't imagine how I would have made it through the last five or so years without him. I think I'll keep him. :)

3 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

You've had so much to deal with over the past year. You try to have a wonderful Thanksgiving. ENJOY!

Ronni Gordon said...

Hope you have a good and restful Thanksgiving. Of course you're right not to put yourself at risk. Somebody once called me a germaphobe, but hey, whoever says that has not been in the same shoes.

Missie said...

I've tried all the different masks for my cpap and they all drive me crazy so I no longer use it. I'm bad, I know!

You can't please everyone. You need to do what's best for you!

Hope you're having a great Thanksgiving!