Tuesday, November 24, 2009


Yesterday was a very busy day. I woke up at 5:30 and showered before I began the IV. Afterwards I wrapped a few presents and then went to the internist. I saw the associate of my regular doctor and she actually warmly hugged me when she saw me. They took lots of blood to check on the counts and see if they are coming down from the antibiotics. After leaving I came home and watched some tv before having take out for dinner and then at 6:15 p.m. I saw my cardiologist. I look in the mirror and think I look awful. I am pale but it's more than that. My cardiologist said I looked very good for someone with pericarditis. I guess that should have made me happy. Sunday everyone said I looked so sick and I agreed. I came home and had my second IV before going to bed.

This morning I got up early and began to search for the disability papers. I have not received a temporary disability check in three weeks. Amongst papers I found a notice stating they had ended this. My doctor had sent a form saying my TENTATIVE return to work date was in October and apparently, they lead them to terminate my claim. The really annoying part was that it was dated Nov. 4th and I only had the right to appeal in writing within ten days. Mind you, I was in the hospital Nov. 6-13. I arrived home around dinner time on the 14th and shortly later a nurse arrived and was here for over two hours at which time I went to bed. The next day when I woke up, my arm was in pain after having the line inserted the day before. I did not read/open mail. That would have been my last date to respond. I sat down and typed up an appeal , explaining all of this. I found a fax number on their website where forms could be faxed for submission and I faxed the letter of appeal there. Then I went to the post office and mailed the hard copy of it. I was home by 8 a.m. and waiting for the nurse to arrive and draw blood and change my dressing. After she left I found a phone number and called it. Four times I have been put through a lengthy que only to be cut off at the end telling me all representatives are busy and I must call back. I hope my letter gets a response. IF they do not reopen my claim I am in big trouble. That would mean NO disability from Oct. 25 until Jan. 4th or later. In the meantime I have prescriptions that I am filling, doctors that cost me copays etc. I had some (but not many) Christmas presents bought. I will not be able to buy more. I will need the credit card to purchase food and other expenses. IF the state of NJ has any sense, I am hoping they will accept and approve my appeal. Even if they do, I don't expect I would see anything for a few weeks. I am trying to remain calm about this. It's not easy.
The nurse also noticed I had a low grade fever. This really concerns me. If it remains or rises, I will have to contact my doctor. It might be a bug but it might mean the antibiotic is not working. If that's the case they will need to change it.
Time will tell.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.


A Middle Aged Mom said...

Keeping you in my prayers! I sure hope the disability comes thru for you.

Virginia said...

Its a never ending frustration, trying to get the benefits we are supposed to receive. I am convinced this is on purpose, to confuse and to deny as much as possible so that the required obligations to we "end users" doesn't have to be met. All those that are against health care reform must be both rich to begin with and have never had any serious health issues.

Good luck with your administrative battle. Don't give up.

Peace, Virginia

alphawoman said...

Good Lord what a mess!! Hope your thanksgiving Day is better...(are you no longer private? I need to put you back on my bloglines!!) My word verification is "forks" seem appropo (sp...lol)

Susan C said...

Oh, man. Just the frustration and financial stress that you DON'T need. I hope you can get this resolved with as little stress as possible.