Saturday, September 02, 2006

Hurricane Season and a Lazy Weekend

Well, hurricane season is amongst us here on the Eastern shore. We are feeling the remnants, and thankfully not the eye of the hurricane. I have been thinking a lot today about my neighbors who are heading to Florida on Wednesday. No place I would ever want to live between the high temperatures and the hurricanes and I won't even address the bugs. Whew! We had thought we would be driving to Pennsylvania to have dinner with our good friends but it's just too nasty and windy out there. My rear tires need replacing and I just can't chance it.

On Aug. 31st Rob and I had a wonderful anniversary. When I had sold my old house I treated myself to a keyring from Tiffany's. I had always wanted something from Tiffany's and they do sell some silver things. They are a tad pricey but sorry, me being a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn's and the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's, I just had to have it. Several weeks ago I stopped at the supermarket on my way home from work. In a huge hurry I couldn't find it and drove home with my spares. Once home I realized I had lost it. It had a beautiful little silver heart on it that said "If lost return to Tiffany's and a registered number." I was really sad about losing it and resigned myself to the fact that it would not be replaced. Rob had worked overtime several hours last week and to my surprise, he had ordered a replacement and had it shipped to his work. I was elated. On top of that I got a bouguet of gerbera daisies, two beautiful cards and we were treated to a magnificent dinner out. It was at the 200 yr. old inn we had been married at. Rob had filet mignon and I had two huge crab cakes. The presentation is not to be believed and the food was simply fabulous. We even splurged for dessert and got "over the moon" chocolate cake. It even had the chocolate moon on top of the cake, along with a side of whipped cream. Oh my!

This weekend will be very rainy. We shared the workload and cleaned much of the house this morning. It's nice to have things shiny and bright again. Rob has purchased a pork loin that he will make for dinner with an apricot sauce. Sounds yummy.......
He is napping now. He was up for about four hours in the middle of the night. Rob is worried about his baby sister who will be seeing an oncologist on Sept. 6th. We think ultimately she will be fine but we know that with a six year old daughter, recovering from surgery is not easy. They removed a nerve from her throat and she has to learn to swallow without it. Not an easy thing. She had two tumors and one was cancerous. That word is so scary but the doctors got it all. It's very hard to be so far from a family member when they are going through an ordeal like this. I am so grateful at times like this for emails because we can email her daily and send her things to make her laugh. She has a great sense of humor. Rob and her have played many tricks on each other over the years like the time he nailed her shoes to the floor. (His Dad hadn't put the new wood floor down yet, luckily for Rob.) When Rob and I got married she and I danced by ourselves to demonstrate how to perform the gestures to a song "Green alligators and long necked geese, humpty back camels and chimpanzees.........", aka The Unicorn Song. She loves unicorns. Unicorns are magical, kind of like relationships we have with our siblings. Often it's a love/hate thing but you know when the chips are down, you expect your siblings to be there for you. Although we can't sit by her side right now, she is in our constant thoughts and prayers.
WE love you baby girl. :)

2 comments:

jennifer said...

Awww. Rob is the bestest. (But don't tell him I said so.)

And I would have had the filet AND the crab cakes. And the Moon too. LOL

Healing thoughts to your SIL.

Judith HeartSong said...

I love your story of your life together... it always makes me smile.

judi