Thursday, September 07, 2006

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood............

Yesterday was a difficult day. My next door neighbor who had been so wonderful left for Florida. She came over to say goodbye and we cried, hugged, cried and hugged some more. I have owned three houses and lived in an apartment many years ago. I have had many neighbors over the years but none have compared to this neighbor and her husband. When Rob and I arrived here, the development was nearly two years old. We were the first resale and our home had only been occupied for nine months by the previous owner. She hadn't really made many friends here except for the only single man across the street and the husband of her friend which eventually ended their friendship. She was eager to go and they were eager to see her leave. When we moved in many friendships were already solidly in place. It's tough to be the new kid on the block no matter what your age is. When I drove up one day my neighbor Jen came up, extended her hand and welcomed me. She was the only person who did. Over the years these neighbors were a Godsend. They offered to help us put up our chainlink fence and match it to theirs. There wasn't a time where they didn't see Rob doing something that they didn't offer assistance. When I had my open heart surgery I had only ONE delivery from a florist and it was from them. I arrived home three weeks later to a house filled with floral arrangements, but it was the one in the hospital that truly lifted my spirits. I have other neighbors here that I have formed bonds with. I have a few houses I can walk to and know I am welcome but no neighbor can take the place of Jen. Now I'm crying again. Damn.

My other neighbor, Ms. Cantankerous is out there working on her fence again. I didn't want her to have a six foot high fence which was against the code. She got a variance by making false statements. She is now putting up said fence by herself, with the aid of her adolescent son.
The fence doesn't look very secure to me. It's only five feet from my shed. The shed I had built that cost me nearly two thousand dollars. She is also putting her fence on a conservation easement. Why our town gave her the variance is beyond me. I guess the squeaky wheel got the grease. I try not to think about it. I just hope if her fence does damage to my property I am able to document it and recover the costs.

It's sunny and lovely today. A nice breeze. I woke up at 6 a.m. Jumped out of bed and began to bake. I sent my husband off to work with fresh brownies. I have a cookie jar full of oatmeal cookies I made. I need to run to the store and do some shopping. I work this Saturday which means today is my Saturday in terms of errands. I really hate working Saturdays. I hate giving up any time with Rob. Have I mentioned lately how much he means to me? He's my inspiration to believe that there are good people still in this world. He inspires my faith because I believe that God sent him to me to help me get through all the tough times. I know that I could survive on my own but I'm glad that I don't have to. I think if everyone had someone to love, someone who loved them the world would be a better place.

No comments: