Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Anniversary



Today is our ninth anniversary. I met Rob two and a half years earlier. I had been so unhappy with my former spouse that Rob was actually afraid to propose thinking I might not take another chance. Emotionally I was still healing and it took time to release some of the things that I had to in order to move on. I had envisioned myself being alone for the rest of my life. I would have a dog and lots of family members but I really felt that a husband was not something necessary for my happiness. About that time I met Rob. He was fun and patient and everything that I would have wanted in a man but I was not going to let myself get caught in that again. No way! I told Rob this on our first date and he told me marriage was not something he was interested in so we were both at ease. That's so funny looking back. On our first date it was like we had known each other for years. I was never so comfortable with anyone on a date and he made me laugh. I had forgotten how to laugh. Some two and a half years later we got married in an intimate ceremony of about forty. Our song was "Come Rain or Come Shine". We had both been listening to that song one day and blurted out at the same time "This would make a great wedding song!" Sometimes we actually complete each other's sentences. I swear that he can read my mind at times!



When most people take vows they don't think it through. Sickness? When you're young and invincible who can imagine that? Just two years later Rob went through my first open heart surgery with me. About six months later he went through two surgeries with me for breast cancer. Now, a month ago he went through the second heart surgery. It's a lot. He has never complained one time. I have apologized for having to ask him to get things/do things for me and he tells me that I have no reason to do that. He does everything with devotion and caring.



Sometimes I think that I might have been too afraid to have taken a chance on Rob. I would have missed out on so much. I am so grateful for Rob and his love. I wish everyone would be loved like this because it's what gets you through the really hard times. Thanks to my friend Diana who encouraged me to make my own decision but gently reminded me that love might not come again. Rob (like me) is not perfect but he is perfect for me.

2 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

It sounds like a wonderful love story. Happy Anniversary and may you have many more.

Judith HeartSong said...

I am so happy for you two..... it is so rare to find true love and happiness.