Saturday, February 16, 2008

Across the Universerse

Today I finally had the priviledge of watching the movie Across the Universe. It was wonderful and was like being in a time machine. Very thought and memory provoking. I am the next to the oldest of five children. Oldest is my brother Jimmy. During the turbulent Viet Nam war years I worried so that either he or my first serious beau would be drafted. By the time it was their actual time a draft lottery fell into effect and they were low on the list. I could finally breathe a sigh of relief. About eight years ago I came to know a man who served in Viet Nam. He confided a lot of things to me and I realized how deeply troubled he was. He told me that even then decades later the sound of fireworks would make him shake. This man was fortunate enough not to experience hand to hand combat but his wounds were deep and permanent. The Beatles music is so wonderful and evokes so many memories.

I love my weekends but they go by so very fast. I am working 45 hours each week. Five are mandatory overtime. I love the checks but I am weary and often times I am asking myself if this is too much for me. If I stay with this company as of March I will be getting a raise. It is nice to have money to do things but I hate being tired so much. I do have days that I can take off and I need to start planning ahead and doing that. I have made many new friends at this new company.

It is time for dinner once again. During the week I get home too late to have dinner with my husband. That means the weekends are the only times we have meals together. I would love to put my Martha Stewart apron on and present a gorgeous dinner but in all honesty, I am just too tired! I do have a pot roast defrosting for tomorrow but for tonight I think we will be going out again. It's like Anna Quindlen says "You can have it all but not at the same time." I have the financial squares covered but it leaves the domestic squares unchecked. At this stage of my life I know that's okay. For now I am doing what needs to be done. Today I chose to spend a few hours reading and a few hours watching a movie. Sometimes our minds need nurturing more than our bodies. That square had been left unchecked for far too long.

Enjoy the weekend.

1 comment:

Judith HeartSong said...

I want to see that movie.... visuals... lots of visuals.