Sunday, November 18, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

(Left: Rob and our niece, Cassie)
This week I will finally be doing my actual job in the new arena. I have been in training for weeks and I am looking forward to kicking it up a notch. Customer service jobs are not always easy. Sometimes people feel that they can say things to an anonymous voice on the phone that they would not dare say if they had to watch the person's face they were speaking to. I have been the irate customer on the other end of the phone. More times than I would like to admit.

I made over a dozen calls to Verizon when their FIOS installer cut through wires and left a gaping hole in my house. I finally gave up and never did get any satisfaction. What really irked me was when they gave the complaint to the INSTALLER to deal with. He basically called to tell me I shouldn't have complained. It cost me $85 to have the electric company tell me that since the problem was INSIDE my house they couldn't fix it either but they demanded my money and threatened to turn off my account when I delayed in sending it in. I cannot wait until my obligation of time with Verizon plays out. Then I will happily cancel my FIOS phone service which sounds like an echo is in the phone. Sorry Verizon but you no longer dominate the world.

I will go with an IOP carrier and save lots of money. So for the money you cost me you lost what might have been a life long customer. That's really poor business and horrid customer service.

Certainly not the kind I give to customers.


This will be our first Thanksgiving without my sister-in-law. We are a bit concerned as this will be the first holiday her nine year old daughter will spend without her. They are coming here for dinner and a visit. I have tried to get some fun things here for her to have. We are all going to my parents where my 95 yr. old grandmother will be and my sister and her significant other from upstate New York. I have to work Friday ( no seniority yet ). Fortuantely Rob will be home to take them out for the day and keep them busy. We are always trying to think of ways to put a smile on the face of our Cassie kid. She is so bright and recently wrote a story about a pencil which died. It was about her Mom and the pencil told her that although she was dead, she was happy. We constantly worry that she will be okay but she seems alright. Nothing takes the place of being able to hug and kiss her when we are far apart. We send mail frequently to constantly assure her we are always just a phone call away.


I am on my way over to have lunch with my grandmother. She is insisting on chow mein for lunch. I like to have more exotic Chinese food but she sticks with what she has known for so long. She looks wonderful and it's a joy when she is nearby and I can pop in for a visit. I am thankful for many things this year. While I am keenly aware of the absence of Jen a part of me is relieved that her suffering is over. I am grateful to have been a part of her life and to have a part of her still in her daughter. I am grateful that in a world of poverty all my basic needs and then some are met. I am grateful that both myself and my son beat cancer and enjoy good health today. I am grateful that I have friends that have stood by me through so much. I am grateful for my little house that is small but holds as much love as a mansion. I am grateful that I have someone who loves me and that I love him in return. I am grateful for my real estate friends who still call me and keep in touch with me and let me know they miss seeing me on a daily basis. I am grateful for the new friends I have already made in the new job. Many of them are younger than I am and they all tell me how cool I am. That makes my day :)


What are your greatful for?

1 comment:

alphawoman said...

You sound so happy!!! Congrats!