Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Celebration


Tomorrow I will be too busy to make this entry so I am making it tonight. Tomorrow is a huge day for celebrating. My only child, my son Tom is having a birthday. Now, please bear in mind I was VERY young when I had him. I was in fact a teenager (true).
Although I always celebrated his birthdays with joy, once he was diagnosed with leukemia and given only a 30% chance of being alive for the next five years, his birthdays took on a new meaning. At first we dared to hope. AS time went on, it became more and more of a celebration and we anticipated many more to come.
On my son's 16th birthday he was the picture of health. That summer he became increasing tired, weak and ill. The actual diagnosis was made Sept. 4th, 1990. He had childhood leukemia, acute. We had a short time to make some dramatic reversal of his bone marrow or he would not survive the next thrity days. Now, another fifteen birthdays have passed, Tomorrow he will be 32 years old. My baby. Sheesh!
Thank you God for another birthday with my baby who has become a handsome, caring, and kind soul. He is taking a sick day off work and I am only working until the early afternoon then I will go over and make him dinner and take him a birthday cake. Ahhh, friends, life is indeed good.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOMCAT!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Happy Birthday to your son!

alphawoman said...

What a handsome man! Happy Birthday to him.

AlbGlinka said...

What a blessing that he is a grown man now, even if there's the occasional parenting issue or two!

Hugs to you, Albert