Sunday, January 23, 2011

Home Again but still sick

I was released from the hospital on the 20th I believe. I begged my pulmomologist to let me leave, and she did, without full support from the ID doctor. I have paid for that and in hindsight, I should have stayed a few more days. Rob is wonderful but he has taken off so much time already to help me and I insist he go to work. I have visiting nurses but they see many patients each day and don't spend a lot of time, although I am encouraged to call them with any questions or if I want them to come at any time. This is old school for me. Thing is, the other two times I came home with a PIC line I just had to give myself two ivs of vanco twelve hours a part and one shot a day of Lovenox. (This is a blood thinner that is injected into belly fat. For some reason at times it is very painful and minutes later feels like the sting of a wasp.) My stomach looks like I took quite a beating. Still, as of Friday my blood was not thin enough which poses a danger to the heart valve, so I continue getting two painful shots a day. The ivs are two that are twelve hours a part but the other must be given four times a day, every six hours. This is a new antibiotic they have me on. The antibiotics that worked in the past failed this time. What I did have going for me was that I went to the doctor early on Monday and was on oral antibiotics until Thursday when they sent me to the ER to be admitted. At that time my fever was steadily going up. The chest x ray showed a very minor pneumonia in one lung but the CT scan showed it was in both lungs as well as a lot of fluid.
On my home regimen I am also received three breathing treatments each day. To be honest, they reduce the wheeze but I still cough, a lot.

One thing I value is that I am always open and honest. I am very discouraged right now. Firstly, this is my fifth bout of pneumonia in just under 18 months. FIFTH! This was my fourth hospitalization. This time I had fluid around the heart which I have not had before. It takes me longer to recover and it's hard to motivate myself right now. My lung doctor is wonderful. She understands and spent extra time talking to me, trying to encourage me. She shares my concerns though. One night she had them bring me a small bottle of wine with my dinner as a reward for fighting so hard. I consider her and Rob my support team. In this world good, dedicated and caring doctors are not easily found. I let her know constantly how much I appreciate her.

I am still waiting for forms from my company that were being overnighted to me on Thursday. Until then, I cannot file my short term disability papers and that means at least a month until I get a check once they are filed. Thank goodness we have an emergency account we can hit. Since it was the new year insurance wise, I had to pay several hundred up front for meds and such.
Well, I had only a few hours sleep last night. I couldn't sleep laying down and I sat up in a chair for the sleep I got. Sometimes I wish I had a hospital bed here so I could raise the head when having breathing issues. I never gave it a thought until I had the lung issues how difficult it makes your life. Walking short distances leaves me gasping or coughing. It is my fervent hope and prayer that my lungs will improve. I just hope I can be patient enough until that happens.


Ronni Gordon said...

So sorry you are going through this. Glad you have good support. One day at a time! You'll get better as you always do. How about having another glass of wine?

Cynthia said...

I'm so sorry that you have been so sick. You and Rob are in my prayers.


I am so sorry to hear you are so sick. You must continue to fight and hang tough. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Don't give up.

Missie said...

You have had more than your share of medical problems and hospitalizations! Maybe you and I should pinky swear that there will be no more hospitals for us for the rest of the year? LOL

Feel better and have a good week. You're always in my prayers.