Thursday, December 14, 2006

Changes in the Air

I am doing a lot of soul searching right now. Wondering where I should be in terms of my new license. There are many different ways it can be used and I am investigating the options which will be best for me. If I become a full time agent and give up my current part time job I will lose the security of the income (which is modest) however I will be giving myself an option to earn much more. I think I know what to do and have been receiving advice from people who have made careers for themselves. It's exciting but when one leaves the safety net it's always a bit uneasy.

I am still dragging from when I was sick several weeks ago. I woke up in the middle of the night last night and never did get back to sleep. I dozed but not the good restful sleep. I keep thinking how nice it would be to be making my own schedule more or less. I know that I have been way too stressed out. It's not good for me physically or mentally.

Tonight is my office Christmas party. Oops I mean holiday party. They start it at 4 which is ridiculous because noone shows up between 4 and 5. It goes until 8. At 8 a great new musician who just cut his first CD will be playing at a local pub. I would love to go providing I can stay awake. I think I could force myself.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

I work straight commission in mortgage lending, so I have a pretty decent idea of where you're coming from. Controlling my own schedule is great until I'm collecting docs at 11 p.m. and have to take an application at 6 the following morning because that's when the clients are available. The fluctuations in income can drive you crazy, and you have to be twice as motivated and disciplined as a salaried employee. That said, I still love my job. I recommend taking a long, hard, cold look at your market now. Check out sales trends for at least a couple of years, projections for business growth, the stability of the employment sector that is your market's economic base,household income stats, bankruptcy and foreclosure trends and the expenses you'll accrue to do your job right. (Here, realtors pay for their own advertising, signage, everything really.) Not to mention looking at how your budget can handle dry income spells. It's better to prepare for them ahead of time, believe me! Since our fields are definitely related, I hope you don't mind me making a suggestion or two. More than anything else, trust your decision making ability. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

alphawoman said...

How exciting!! I don't know if I ever could work for a commission only position. I'm too unmotivated at times.

Happy Holidays and hope you make it to the Pub.